Monday 16 June 2008

And again ........... plus a Whoopeeeee !

Dougie has again been moved, this time to Ward 32 (also a single bed room).
When we got in to see him this afternoon, he actually spoke ! OK, as Heike says, it sounded a bit like Darth Vader (or Edward G Robinson for the older folk!) but it was recognisable.
I was having a hunt for his Shuffle in the bed side cupboard and couldn't find it when his hand popped out, pointing at the bottom section and he said, quite clearly " its in there! "
A feather would have been an adequate weapon just at that point I can tell you.
He then proceeded to try other words like Mum, Dad, Anna, Love You. Way to go maan!

Seems simple perhaps but given the fact that he still has a trachy tube in and has not uttered a sound since around the 20th April Its bloomin marvelous. Now that he's started it will be a matter of practice to kick start all the many muscles associated with forming words and controlling the vocal chords.

Keith (Feek) and Sarah (Shering) came in and brought a brilliant Tee Shirt complete with a Barks Vee sign logo!!! That REALLY went down well and raised many thumbs ups!! Perhaps Keith (who drew it up) may share it with us?? I tried a photo before I remembered that I'd followed the rules and switched off at the door...

To top it all off Nick & Heike gave him a present, on behalf of so many of his 'Good Vibes Group', of a Sony portable DVD player!! He was both quite overcome really delighted.
There is no way that we (Doug, Sheena and I) can ever truly express our thanks and appreciation for all that you folk have done since this all started but I'm sure it won't be long before Doug can return to firing off emails etc. and rest assured 'Thank You' will be the most used topic.

His writing continues to improve as does the spacial awareness.

All in all, the 16th June has been quite a memorable day.

Iain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow Iain - this is just amazing news!!!!!!! I'm so so happy to hear it!!!!! What a huge step forward - go Dougie!!!!! Love to you all and see you soon, tell Dougie from me I'll be looking for some full suspension bike advice from him next time I'm there! Lorna
xxx

Feek said...

Hi Dougie, Sheena and Iain - it was just greeaaat to see you all yesterday - and even better to hear about you speaking Dougie - fan blinkin tastic, as I know you were nearly there with it earlier in the day.

Oh and Iain and Sheena - I have plans for some special "friendly" t-shirts specially for you! :-) Could you email me your address and I'll get the jiffy bag ready...

I'll post a copy of the T-shirt design on t'internet when I get home and post a message with a link on here.

Nice also to meet Anna and Annette (thanks for the bus fare home - managed to jam the counting machine on the bus LOL) and put faces to names.

Good vibes Barks, good vibes...

Feek'n'Saz

P.S. Mops and Pops P also asking for you, hoping to get over to see you sometime soon.