Tuesday 11 November 2008

Back on track .....................

Douglas continues to amaze me!!
He overcame his immense frustration and anger and agreed to go along to the second eye appointment at the Eye Pavilion on Monday. The outcome was not quite what he had hoped for in that the remaining stitch was not completely removed but was 'lengthened ' to give around a 5mm opening. However it is a step in the right direction.
This is just enough to expose the cornea when he looks down. The intention appears to be to further open the lid in early December, assuming the eye condition does not deteriorate in the meantime. Vision is obviously fuzzy and will likely be so until it all gets used to being exposed and used and needless to say it can't come soon enough for Doug.

His mood has recovered quite remarkably - looks like I underestimated his recovery rate (again!!) although he can still get a bit agitated when the eye subject is raised.

He is due to go for an appointment with the audio consultant (a follow up on tests done last week) on Thursday 13th (afternoon) to review the hearing weakness on the left side and the options and, just as important, to convince Doug that using his right ear is not going to have adverse effects.

So I guess the message is ......... Let Visiting Commence!!!

With hindsight both Sheena and I find ourselves becoming perhaps over protective on occasion. forgetting that Doug is a 36 year old man and also that there are so many things that he alone must come to terms with. Having said that I'm sure we'll do the same thing over and over again in the coming months. Guess its all a part of being a parent :-)

Iain

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I'm dancing round the room!!!! absolutely fantastic news about the eye and about you feeling more positive Dougie - as your dad says, you continue to amaze me - your determination and the 'just getting on with it' attitude you have which i know can't be easy at times.

Your birthday message on my phone made my day really special - I hope you got the one in reply from me, Mum and Dad?

Love to you as always, and do give those wonderful parents of yours a big hug from me too.

Jules xxx