Sunday 7 December 2008

A period of mixed blessings ..........

Sorry for the delay in posting an update but I was holding off pending the outcome of Dougs eye tests on Friday 5th.
Like so many things recently, the results were good and not so good. Unfortunately it was decided not to remove the last stitch in the left eyelid at this point because the blink reaction had not improved sufficiently to ensure that the eyeball would remain fully lubricated.
This was a very great disappointment to Doug, who I fear had really been setting his heart on its removal. In consequence he was really quite upset on Friday evening but by Saturday afternoon he appeared to have rationalised the situation in his own mind.
The plus part concerned the fact that both eyes are essentially in good condition and any vision issues are nerve related and therefore subject to gradual improvement. The vision in his right eye can (and will) be improved by a pair of glasses; the vision in his left eye will remain slightly blurred mainly as a result of the eye ointment being used as a replacement for tears (the natural lubricant). However, when the blink response comes back it is possible that a less viscous ointment can be used, thus reducing the blurring effect.

He also had a series of swallow tests using fluoroscopy techniques and this showed that, although there was a continuing improvement, he really had to do more swallow related exercises. Never the less he is able to have his occasional cup of thickened coffee, which goes down a bundle!!

He is presently working on bed - chair - bed transfers aimed at hopefully getting him home on a day pass. I guess it'll not be a full day, given that he still needs peg applied medication and fluids, but even a couple of hours would be great!!!!!!!
If this works, we can think of a repeat at Christmas time but we are NOT building our hopes too much at this point.
His other physio is coming along, although as the physios say "he has great potential, if he could just get with the programme" - Doug of course agrees that he is lazy and needs to get his backside in gear :-)

I continue to be impressed by Doug ....... I'm not at all sure I could have dealt with the eye test business as well as he has done. I just hope that there are going to be some real positives in the near future. He badly needs a confidence builder to boost his morale. Having said that, he generally manages to talk a storm when visitors come in - so much so that they have difficulty getting a word in edgewise!!

Thanks to everyone ................ Sheena and I don't know how we could cope without you all.

Iain

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello lovely people! Been thinking of you all every day - so sorry not to have made it in recently -baaaaaad friend!!

I check the blog all the time and it really means so much to get updates - thank you so much Iain.

Dougie - so, you're joining us specky-four-eyed lot then!! welcome to the club.....have you decided on a style yet? You can try mine and see if you like them!

Will keep everything crossed for the day passes - would be amazing to come and see you at home.

Will give you all a call soon.
Much love and thoughts, and a massive hug for you Dougie, Jules xxxx

Anonymous said...

Hello!!!

Sorry it's been so long.

Really happy to hear of all your progress Dougie and about the possibility for getting home, that would be amazing.

I am really looking forward to visiting you again when I am up for Christmas, it feels like a long time ago that I saw you last.

My thoughts are with you often and I haven't forgotten that I promised to send you music, I'm so sorry I haven't but my laptop has been broken...nothing to do with the fact you called me a music snob,honest!!!

Lots of love

Rhea xxx