Monday 11 August 2008

A real mixed up week ............

Poor Douglas has had quite a rotten week and is obviously trying to come to terms with all that has happened to him. Sometimes his mood lightens a bit but its all very up and down right now.
He had a really bad 24 hours on Wednesday/Thursday when it seemed that he had completely abandoned any attempt to keep going and was refusing to be fed, suctioned or given medication. We were very worried about him ............

However, by Friday he seemed to have recovered his will to go on and by Sunday he was becoming more responsive and a bit less negative. Unfortunately this has not yet resulted in co-operation with the physios (sitting up out of bed etc.) and so his chesty condition continues to be a bother to him although, despite it all, his cough reflex does seem to be getting much of it out without deep suctioning.
He has had spells when he wanted to watch videos and listen to audio books so perhaps all is not as gloomy as it sometimes feels.
We can but hope that he recovers his will to press on.

Every day seems to bring new challenges and we are, I think, coming to terms with the fact that we deal with things on a day to day basis where long term really means the end of a week.

We read the Blog and Facebook messages to him whenever he seems to be receptive - he can get quite emotional and tearful sometimes - and he does listen attentively and frequently gives thumbs up (or down!) depending on the content !! So keep them coming folks - Doug does appreciate them and one day I'm sure he'll be replying for himself.
If asked whether he wants visitors he'll often shake his head but when folk turn up 'unannounced' he's pleased to see them so please bear with him if he's feeling really lousy when you come along.

Iain

6 comments:

Kat's eye said...

hey Dougie
Been reading your posts, sorry I've not been in to visit. First my dad was in hospital and now I've had a cough and sore throat I haven't yet shifted so not a good plan. sounds like you've got enough on your plate without my germs as well.
But I'll be in as soon as I can. In the meantime, sit up, get out and stay positive.
Lovekat
PS I made raspberry jam today, after a random bike ride in Fife. Can you eat jam yet? I'm very proud, it's a first for me, unsupervised ;)

Unknown said...

Hey Barx,

Matey... all I can say is that I think the world of ya pal.

I cannot even begin to comprehend what you are going through, especially coz I know just what kinda person you are.

But you know what fella? If there was one person who would never give away any cheap points (either in Halo or on a climbing wall) its you.
I know your strength.
I know what you are truly capable of.

When i think back to the time where I had to go to bed and you would STILL be playing McRae by the time I got up in the morning.... or simply refusing to give up on a climb... then I piss myself laughing. Great times.

Come on chum, lets get together and kick ass like we used to. I have to lose 4 stone, and you have to get your ass outta that hell hole.

So it will be a regime like the Gorgie days... do you remember?
Climbing so hard that we would fall out into the stair landing?
Or what about pink salmon? ...do you remember just how long we worked on that hold? ...and the low traverse at Agazzi's?

Do you remember when we both ripped up and did 'em?

Get those frickin physios in on twice the shifts, and get out of there, because I know that deep down, you know you can do it. Oh and if Hamish is one of them then give him hefty abuse fae me.

Meeshy keeps telling that it will be feeling like L'Ape D'Huez after a night on the booze (plus a couple of fags), so I do very much respect that it must feel unsurmountable. But you are Triangle Boy... Men of No Nerves...and you CAN DO IT FELLA!!!!

I hope you do not mind me writing to you like this... but I am one of your oldest buddies which gives me the right to give you a kicking ;o)

I am willing you along every step of the way Sparky.

Your pal always.

Fat DP




PS - Isla said "Cheese" the other day which was cool ... all I have to do now is get her to say "Gnarly Old Goat Dude"

Anonymous said...

Hi Dougie
I've not been around Alien for a while and out of the loop so to speak so I've just heard your news. Sending you love and positive vibes, which I know Gerrard (EBC remember?) will send also.
Jinty x

Anonymous said...

hey Dougie!!

Wanted to come in and tell you myself but not sure when that will be SO.............i have some GREAT news!!

I'm moving on from the Museum (at long bloody last I can hear you saying!)and as of 1st October will be the Public Relations & Events Officer for Keep Scotland Beautiful!!! after 5 years of being out of it, I;m getting my foot firmly back in the environmental door - know you'll be chuffed for me cause you've listened to me moaning about my current job umpteen times!

Anyways, will tell you more when i next see you.

Mark & Struan arrived yesterday - remember that fat little baby? well, he's now a tall, confident and cheeky young man (but still very cute!). his understanding of english is amazing (although he chatters away in Spanish).

LOVE you, Jules xxx
P.S Thanks a million for all the updates Iain and Sheena - it really means a lot and i know it can't be easy to write it all down. Hugs to you both xx

Unknown said...

Hey Barx,

It's snowing here in Australia!!!!
Get your snowboard out...

Unknown said...

Hi Ian and Sheena,

How are you both? Fatigue must be really taking its toll on you both by now I am sure, and I wish I could do something to help more. I truly wish I could be there to hang out with my bud, make him laugh and inspire him during these dark days. I think of you and Ian and obviously Barky a lot, I think it must be having a family of my own... really makes you think. I miss you all and send you all our very best wishes.
Love yas

Dave, Meesh and Isla.