Monday 19 May 2008

One forward .........

We've just been in to see Dougie and because of turning and settling for the night etc. only managed around 15 mins with him.
He is still battling the chest infection but was definitely looking better than earlier to-day. He spent the day on a B-Pak ventilator (I'm sure I've got the name wrong?) and was doing reasonably well although he was pretty tired by around tea time so he's back on full ventilator for the night.

His responses continue to strenghten and when we were there early afternoon he was really trying to stretch his back ... I guess lying still that long must give some aches and pains. His leg movements are getting bigger although predominantly on the right side and he gets a fair shove, enough to move his hips on the bed.

Keep it going Doug - we're so proud of you.

Iain (the Auld Yin)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Glad to hear things are still picking up Iain. It's slow but we know he'll get there and we're all thinking of him!

Hope everyone's well - haven't been in for a couple of weeks but sure I'll see you all soon.

Will

Anonymous said...

Hi Iain and Sheena,
I went to see Dougie today, Tuesday 20/5/08 at around noon. He was brilliant. He showed off his right leg movements, kept lots of eye contact and even nodded to let me know his legs were warm enough. He seemed to be trying to move his lips too. It must have been hard being subjected to my one sided conversation! I probably bored him to tears! I'm sure he will be talking as soon as he can. I told him how brilliant the Speech and Language Therapist is at our school. So he can look forward to getting to grips with communication aids. Keep up the great work all of you. Dougie it is great to see you doing so well.

Very best wishes from Annette.

Unknown said...

I wish I could visit.
*sigh*

Really wish I could sit with Barky and just get an appreciation for how difficult it must be for him. I can only imagine what it must be like for him not to speak...(yet) ;o)

Go...Go...GO... Barky.... oh and whoever goes to see him next can you stick the V's up at him and say they are from Davey P... he will know what it means and it might get a chuckle from him!


Dave