Tuesday 27 May 2008

Quiet Progress

It has been a relatively quiet couple of days with small but significant improvements in movement and co-ordination. Muscular movements are more positive and there has also been a considerable improvement in Dougies left eye condition. Unfortunately his eye had developed an ulcerated area due to incomplete closure of the eyelid which had allowed the eyeball to dry out. This was accompanied by a viral infection that has proved difficult to shift. However things do seem to be coming right.

He has definitely not lost his sense of humour! Kinda wonderous given what he has been through really! I wish I had such resilience.
He had been moved into the HDU (High Dependency Unit) - really just around the corner but a significant indication that his condition has become much more stable since it involves one nurse to two patients rather than the 1:1 of ICU.

His breathing steadily improves and over the next couple of days he'll be moved to an even lower level of external support from the ventilator (he's been on no added oxygen for a couple of days now and seems to have coped OK).

The neurological team are very, very happy with his progress - quite something compared to two weeks ago as the consultant said.

As for visiting ......... his ventilator changes will mean he will be very tired at some point during the day and may well sleep a lot. Given that, and remembering that it is still a HDU with lots of other very sick patients to be considered, I'm sure he'd love to see a few more well kent faces and something other than mom'n'pop chatter!!! But PLEASE ... keep it down to 2 late morning and two late afternoon as a maximum - there will be plenty of opportunity to visit in the future since recovery will be an extended process, so pace yourselves folks!!!!!!
Also do be prepared for the fact that medical requirements will always take priority so you may not actually see him at all (the waiting area can become very familiar after a wee while!!)
We routinely read out Blog and Facebook chat to him, so he's being kept in touch.

Iain (the Auld Yin ... getting aulder by the minute:-))

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Iain and Sheena - what wonderful, wonderful news - it keeps getting better! Dougie, I'm so proud of your fighting spirit - I knew you weren't a quitter! keep up those movements and I promise I'll try and understand what you're trying to tell me next time!

Off to be a bridesmaid tomorrow for the weekend but my thoughts are with you and your fantastic (and not old!) parents. Much love, Jules xxxxx

Anonymous said...

Fantastic news! What brilliant progress in such a short space of time.

Dougie, I tried to see you again on Friday but you had been sitting in a chair for 4 hours and then straight to physio so I decided to let you off for being very tired - if I didn't know better I'd say you were trying to avoid me haha! It was however lovely to see your mum and dad again and catch up. I've got a wee cold at the moment so not going to risk this Friday but I'm coming to try to see you again as soon as I can and that's a threat! So prepare yourself for my rubbish chat Mr Moffatt and in the meantime keep those movements up - I'm really looking forward to seeing you in action!

Iain and Sheena - it was really good to see you on Friday, I'm so pleased it's been another good progress week - long may it continue!

Lots of love

Lorna xxx

Anonymous said...

Great news and progress. Having worked in ITU and HDU for years as a dietitian, you sounds as if you are really turning that corner. The PEG tube (which is what the dietitians are responsible for!!), will make you alot more comfortablle and allow you to have a bit more freedom, especially as you sound like you are getting mighty active!! No doubt you will get an exercise bike in the Unit to keep you pedalling!!

Keep going, Love Louise x

Anonymous said...

keep up the good work dougie, and keep the fighting spirit going.

Iain, are there facilities to play music in the ward? i thought i might make a cd of some tune for dougie to listen to.

thanks for the regular updates


stay strong

Derm

Anonymous said...

Wow!!!! I haven't read this blog for a while so its been AMAZING to hear of your progress Dougie. Keep it up, I want to be putting the IPA vs Stella hangover to the test with you in the not too distant future!
I plan to come up soon to see you but am holding off to a time when visiting is more regular, to guarantee some Dougie time!
Hope this is soon.
Things are good down in Brighton, when it's sunny I'm swimming in the sea, catching all sorts I'm sure. Went swimming in a MASSIVE storm the other night (I know not the best idea!) but it was amazing!

Big love, Rhea x

Anonymous said...

I ve been checking in and so happy at all the progress, getting out of icu is great. matti sends her love too. Keep those legs moving doug, when i am next up i'll be in to see you, big hug Peta

kirsten and simon said...

Dougie, you rock, what more can I say? Keep at it Tiger, I expect the 'high five' will come next. Thinking of you mate, Talk soon.
Simon and Kirsten.